Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sample Spotlight: Rick Ross & Birdman, Dr. Dre

I love it when this happens.

Every hip hop head knows the art of the sample is one of the cornerstones of hip hop production. The ability to take the mood of one song and flip it to make it say something different is well respected in the game. As a kid a game I used to play is spot the sample, i.e. I'd try to figure out what songs were used to make the hits I heard on the radio. This section "Sample Spotlight" will be dedicated to the Samples that provide the background of so many of your favorite songs.

On today's Sample Spotlight, peep the new track I posted by Dr. Dre and T.I. yesterday, Shit Popped Off:



Sometimes, producers will sample the same song at the same time. I give you now, different flip of the same sample, Shittin on Em, by Rick Ross, Birdman, and Busta Rhymes:



Now both of these songs share a funk R&B sample from the masters, Kool & The Gang's Summer Madness (a track that's been sampled plenty in history, most notably by Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince):



Who flipped it better is the question...

1 comment:

  1. In my opinion, the T.I. joint because it was a smoother sample which is closer to the original. The Shittin on Em joint was nice but the bass was too much at times because it overpowered the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete